Procrastination

Jarom - Frenchtown, Montana

I believe in procrastinating. It is not that I am careless or reckless rather it is that I am a responsible procrastinator. Believe it or not, we procrastinators are expert managers of our time. After 12 long years of burning the candle wax, one becomes the master of procrastination.

Procrastination is something almost everyone suffers from once in their life, and is often associated with the shallow end of the intelligence pool. As a result the art of procrastination is plagued with negative connotations such as slacking off and being lazy. Let me make this very clear, this careless form of procrastination is for amateurs and 5th graders. To avoid confusion, my form shall be referred to as Mr. Miyagi procrastination, because it is masterful.

Mr. Miyagi procrastination reaps benefits if used appropriately. First off, Mr. Miyagi procrastination is inspirational. Take this essay for example. If I had not waited, I would not have received the inspiration needed to write this. Instead I would have written something else if I had used my time responsibly and it would most likely have been something cliché such as carpe diem. There is no brain-storming like speed-brain storming in very short amounts of time.

Second, Mr. Miyagi procrastination is motivational. When it is past midnight and you have not completed you calculus homework, integrating equations is a breeze because it is your main focus. If said calculus student allots his time responsibly, he/she opens the door for distraction, and slowly succumbs to the 5th grade form of procrastination previously stated. Let’s face it, when you are crunched for time, you become concentrated and efficient.

The driving force behind procrastination also yields positive results. Consider Isaac Newton. Do you think Isaac would have discovered his laws of physics if he had not been procrastinating under that apple tree in the first place? Mr. Miyagi procrastination thus is a major role in scientific breakthrough as well as last night’s calculus homework. As the saying goes, “pressure makes diamonds.” Likewise, the pressures of procrastinating play a precious part in the making of marvelous masterpieces.

In conclusion, procrastination is often misunderstood and frowned upon because of its tragic association with 5th graders and slackers. Yet I believe Mr. Miyagi procrastination will rise above the slackers and over-achievers and change the future. Procrastinators around the world unite! ……tomorrow.