First Chance

Annelise - Frenchtown, Montana

I believe in giving people a first chance. No, you did not just read that last sentence wrong; I did indeed say “first” chance. To me, the first chance is the glance, thought, or opinion that invades your mind when you are introduced to someone new but without any sort of negative judgment toward that person. In other words, your mind is not already made up about that person just because of the brand of jeans that they are wearing, the way their hair looks, or even how attractive they are. This can also be known as being shallow!

The first chance is the time and effort you put into getting to know a person NOT based off of their looks or income. When you take time to listen and understand someone, then and only then can you begin to make a judgment about their character. To say that a girl is “popular” because she owns ten pairs of Buckle Jeans means absolutely nothing. If anything, that girl could be the most hated girl in the community. Furthermore, looking on the outside for answers tends to create misconceptions about people.

An intimidating jock could be the smartest kid in school, a computer nerd could have the athletic ability of Clay Matthews, the shy girl could have the biggest voice, and the popular girl could have the biggest heart. It all depends on how you view these types of people. Do you automatically assume all jocks are stupid? Do you automatically think the popular blonde girl is mean? The first chance is the time where you don’t believe the labels that people are given and you stop and think for yourself. If you take the time to get to know people, you may be surprised.

Sometimes you learn to trust people you never knew you could trust, and other times you begin new friendships with people you never thought would ever be your “type.” Instead of looking right in front of you, why don’t you dig a little deeper? Stop and get to know people; find out what type of person they really are. It is amazing what traits a person can possess.