Friends are Our Greatest Influence

Erin - Norwood, Pennsylvania
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

This I believe: friends are the people who have the biggest influence on who you become as a person. Who you spend your time with, who you rely on, who you see every day are the ones who will mold you into the adult you become. Parents do have influence in shaping who you are but only to a certain extent. They show you what is right and wrong, but who teaches you how to act? Who teaches you your sense of humor? I feel that your friends do.

The one person I find this mostly to be true is my little brother. I have watched him grow as a person, into who he is and how he acts. He’s impulsive, stubborn, dramatic, and all of these personality traits, with the influence of his friends was just destined to turn out badly.

In my family there are four kids including myself. We each have very different personalities, but we been each raised exactly the same. No special treatment toward anyone. The one common thing I have realized is that we each had a different group of friends with different interests. Matt’s friends for example were probably the most unique. They are the kids you normally see sitting on a street corner with their skate boards, smoking cigarettes and causing trouble for anyone who walked by. They had their dark band t-shirts, and their tight skinny jeans and they try to be as unique as they can be.

For Matt, his best friend was basically the leader of this group. He was probably the most intense, and causes the most trouble for the community. He had a probation officer at the age of 15 and his parents don’t have any control over him. Whatever Rob does Matt did soon after. Rob got piercings all over, and then did Matt. Rob got a tattoo; Matt then also got a tattoo. It was like clock work; whenever Rob did anything significant Matt did the same.

I believe that friends have the biggest influence on you, just in my little brothers case his friends had a negative influence. They have gotten him in so much trouble over the years and it just drives me crazy. Before he met these kids he was considered one of the smartest kids in his school. He was in the gifted honors program and was onto a bright future. Then it only took a year for that future to completely change. He now, no longer goes to school, and is now in danger of repeating his junior year of high school and not going to college.

Even with my own friends, the people I spent the most time with were the girls I had dance classes with every day. I think that’s why my passion for dance was so strong growing up. That’s why it makes sense that in my junior year of high school art became a huge aspect in my life. I would spend half of my day in the art studio with fellow students and friends just painting, talking, and listening to music and letting it inspire us through our artwork. We have both been influenced by our friends over the years, just my influence differ completely from those my brother went through.