Prevailing Happiness

Brittany - West Islip, New York
Themes: hope
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in happiness. Cliché, I know. But the happiness I believe in isn’t the happiness you get when receiving a present or the happiness felt when the boy you’ve been obsessing over for days finally notices you. The happiness I believe in is created. Not by your peers or by situations. The happiness I believe in is created solely by you.

True eternal happiness stems from the soul. One doesn’t have power over this deep and everlasting happiness, it’s created far before we could even have the power to meddle with it. Or do we? Though this happiness is already concrete, what we do have power over is our unhappiness. Strife, tears and trouble are all created by us as humans. We allow the difficult situations in our life to darken the light we all have within us. My life is testament to this.

The past year has been a rough one. Dealing with depression, familial issues, and loss, my happiness was on the back burner of my life. But through my own control, I changed the path I was going down, and created a new one. I’m not sure how this realization hit me, or why. But instead of ignoring it, I let it blossom. My unhappiness wasn’t something inevitable or unchangeable; I had the sole power to remove it from my life. But that’s not the true story behind this essay. My story starts two months later, two months after I re-found my happiness.

I was driving in the car with my mom, on the way to get Starbucks of all things, beaming about how happy I had been lately. The solemn look on her face told me that maybe I should take back what I just said. “Your Nani has lung cancer”, she said. Tears filled my eyes. We hear of these things daily, but it never truly hits you until it’s someone you are close to. Three months prior, had this information been told to me, I would have been helpless to the darkness that was engulfing my life. But, through my insight I realized that happiness is still possible, positive thinking is the only way to help her fight. I am a new person. I believe in this happiness, I believe in eliminating the darkness and opening up your arms to the light. Where happiness prevails, only positive things can follow.