Fashion Fades, Only Style Remains the Same~Coco Chanel

Hannah - Bedford, New York

“Fashion Fades, Only Style Remains the Same”~this quote by Coco Chanel helps explain why I believe in style and fashion.

In the twelve years of my life, people have probably asked 100 times, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I never knew for sure. Sometimes I would tell people I wanted to be a dancer. Other times I thought being a teacher or an artist might be a nice career.

Before fifth grade I always liked fashion and having my own style. I liked to get ideas for my outfits from magazines, fashion icons, and models. This is something I still like to do. In the summer of 6th grade I really became passionate about fashion. I decided to take a fashion illustration class and sewing lessons to learn more about the fashion world. I learned to draw figures properly and come up with names for colors instead of the basics (ex. Red-Raspberry or Yellow-Lemon Drop). I learned what stitching to use on what fabric, or where to cut and sew.

I realized I loved fashion. Whether I am reading about it, writing about it or drawing it, fashion makes me feel good. I love it so much that I like to sketch in my free time and come up with new outfits. I always love to get new ideas which inspire me for outfits. I might look at an outfit from a magazine and use my clothes to create something similar. I also like to watch the show Project Runway for ideas also.

I believe that when you wear what you want, you can show who you are. I believe in style and fashion because I think you can show your mood, personality, and creativity when you wear what you want and like.

I have changed since I have become more passionate about fashion, I have become more confident when I wear what I want. I like to think about the positive feedback people might give about my outfit. I have learned to develop my own sense of style. I think people should have their own sense of style and own sense of fashion. I think kids and adults should be able to wear what they want without worrying about what others might think. I believe that everyone should be confident about themselves and what they look like.