Going Barefoot

Sarah - Ashby, Massachusetts
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in going barefoot. Growing up, the children were known as the barefoot kids. Some people said it was gross, others said it hurt your feet, but we did not care. Until practically the first snowfall, we would go barefoot outside and around the house. The arrival of springtime meant going outside to play with our bare feet touching the still frozen, cold, muddy, brown grass. My friend’s parents always said we were crazy and were going to get sick, however this did not happen. In fact, we were some of the healthiest kids around.

Only at the beginning of the warm weather did walking around hurt our feet. By the end of the summer our feet had developed their own type of shoes, a callused sole; we could walk on almost anything. We would skip through cool grass, and run across bumpy pathways in the woods, as we navigated around protruding tree roots and twigs. We would race down our long dirt driveway in PEI and we would splash in an occasional mud puddle to cool the pads of our feet. We walked and sometimes ran to the Market on the hot pavement on a steamy August day, while we winced as we hit the really hot spots. Everywhere we went, we would go barefoot. Sometimes we would come home with scraped toes or cuts on our feet. This did not stop us and we did not care. We were the barefoot kids.

Several times in the summer we would be half way to the grocery store with our mom, and she would have to turn the car around because one of us forgot our shoes. Glancing back in the rear-view mirror, so annoyed, sometimes she would not even turn around. Instead, she would just tell us to sit and wait in the car while she shopped, or if we were lucky, she would run past the “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service” sign at the store entrance and buy us a cheap pair of flip flops so we could go shopping.

To this day I still hate wearing shoes. Walking around everywhere barefoot is apart of my childhood, and is something I am always going to remember. When I grow older and have my own kids, I hope they too will follow in my bare footsteps. Going barefoot makes me feel free; like I am a part of nature. I believe in going barefoot.