My Favorite Color

Alex - Chelmsford, Massachusetts

My favorite color is…neon green

As a person I do not like to mesh into the crowd, but stand out of it. As I began high school and found myself in lacrosse bright colors began to surround me. When I was a freshman, a player at Hofstra University died from lymphoma. To support the fight against the disease products were made in neon green such as shoelaces, shirts, shoes, and socks. I bought a few pieces of the apparel to support the great cause and people began to associate my image with neon green. It was not until the end of my sophomore year that I realized what neon green meant to me.

To me neon green shows individuality and wanting to be heard. Both of those feelings I have kept with me since I can remember formulating them in 6th grade. I have always acted like myself not to fit in but to be just a genuine person. I do not mind what people say about me or what they really think about me because I know I am being me and not someone else. I also feel that neon green means outrageous and energy. I constantly find myself in “trouble” during class or meetings because of how much energy I give off and the outrageousness that I portray about anything I am passionate about. Although I think the most important thing neon green means to me is, standing up for myself and others. The color strikes me as an “outside color” because it is not as popular as the classic favorites we compile as a child such as red, blue, black, green, pink, and any other crayon in our beloved 64 count box. The colors we portray that are the closest to our hearts speak a thousand words about that one person. It may be their favorite sports team color or maybe the color of their car but it means something different to each and every one of us as we progress through life.