Determination Is Key

Emily - Olympia, Washington

• Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that with determination, one can go very far in life. It is with determination and a little hard work that remarkable things can be accomplished. If I set my mind to it and don’t let anything get in the way, I can achieve anything. To get great rewards, I have to work very hard. That is what I was always taught growing up. Good things don’t just come without hard work.

My soccer team that I have been on for many years recently split up. All of the players went their separate ways and that left me to find a new team. I settled on B H Futbol Club. It seemed like a great idea at first, a chance to learn more soccer and improve my skills. I got out on the turf that first practice and was overwhelmed. Every girl knew each other, and I was left to be the outsider. I made silly mistakes because I was so completely overcome with nervousness. I also was not willing to do anything that would get me attention, fearing it would be the bad kind of attention. That practice was when I finally realized who I am when it comes to new situations. All my life, I have been reluctant and afraid to go outside my comfort zone.

Being on a soccer team has taught me how important dedication is. During my first practice, I felt like I wasn’t good enough to be there. I stuck with it, though, and learned new things every practice. It was hard work and I had to take some harsh criticism along the way, but my skills improved tremendously. I soon started scoring goals and helping the team.

My life experiences have showed me that when things get tough, you can’t just give up. Being dedicated is important because we all have things that we must do in life that are boring. Like a job, for instance, may not be the most exciting but adults have to keep doing it to support their families. Usually when people are dedicated to accomplishing a task, they have a strong motive. If an adult doesn’t earn income every month from a job, the family might starve. You have to develop a mind-set that tells you that you can’t give up. When my initial thought is to just give up, I think twice about it now. What I realized is that I was the only one telling myself ‘I’m not good enough.’ I was my own worst enemy, and I put myself down.

All in all, I think dedication is very important in life; it’s what gets the job done. This is one of my most important values. I have thought many times about giving up but I know that if I keep with it, I’ll get rewarded.