A Cup of Coffee

Danielle - Columbus, Ohio

• Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in a cup of coffee. Perhaps it is the sweet aroma, the feel of the coffee beans, or even just the sheer joy of the dark liquid filling your body with a pleasant warmth. I love that in the morning I can always look forward to starting off my day happily with a nice hot cup of coffee placed in my favorite beach-themed mug. I love that even if everything in my day is going wrong, the coffee is somehow the one thing that goes completely right. And although I could go on and on about my appreciation for the drink itself, what I love most is that I can invite friends and loved ones to share in a coffee experience with me.

Cafés and coffee—two of the best things in life! I always seem to say to friends “we should meet up for coffee.” Now, sometimes that happens the next day and sometimes two months later, but nonetheless sipping coffee together in a café is always perfect. After ordering, you just sit, enjoy, and feel quite sophisticated with your cup of coffee. I’d like to note that there is something to be said when people just sit down and talk—around a cup of coffee of course. There are no cell phones or distractions, just the simple enjoyment of each other’s company and conversation.

I believe that in this day and age it is hard to draw people out. I mean really draw people out. To sit down and ask the hard questions of life, to really feel like you are getting to talk beyond the surfacey things of life, to dive deeper into who people truly are, to know them and be known, to pause life. Some of the best conversations I have ever had with friends and family are over coffee. I have learned about their ambitions, struggles, fears, joys, the ridiculous and crazy sides I never knew existed, and their beliefs. It’s something beyond what you would find out beyond just your five minute Reader’s Digest answers. You see people for whom they are, you appreciate who they are, and in turn, they do the same for you.

Perhaps greater than just coffee itself, I believe in something known as fellowship. Fellowship is where two or more people meet together as joyful companions. I believe that fellowship is what I need and what you need. It is something we yearn for as people. We need to be encouraged by one another, to be supported, loved, prayed over, and cared for. I believe that as wonderful as coffee is, it is always better shared. I encourage you to take a minute, invite someone out to a café, enjoy your hot cup of coffee, and may you both be blessed by the fellowship formed during your time together. This I believe.