The Power of Love

Nancy - Bloomington, Indiana
Themes: love
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in the power of love! I believe that love has tremendous powers that most of us do not realize or remember on a daily basis.

It is winter as I write this and yet in many ways it is my spring. It is my rebirth. It is my dawn after a very long, dark night.

On November 5, 2006, I was called by the Willoughby Police Department. They called to tell me that my father was missing. He had been missing since the evening before. They gave me all the particulars and asked questions like “Who would know where he was?” I felt numb. It was a moment of disbelief. I made many phone calls that day to inform and to see if anyone knew where my dad was.

The next morning my brother called with the news that our dad had been found, but he was dead and had been murdered. Who would murder my dad? The question had to be asked a million times by me and others. He was a hard working, self-made man. By America’s definition, he was tremendously successful. More importantly, he was tremendously loved.

We often see horrific stories on the news. We have become immune to their intensity. Another murder happened in whatever city USA. Another house burned to the ground leaving a family homeless. A tragic car accident happened between some 18 year olds on senior skip day and a large water truck leaving the young man in the passenger seat dead.

All of these stories are about human beings. All of these people have families by birth and choice. All of these atrocities could have been prevented by love. It is loving to drive the speed limit. It is loving to take care of one’s home so that it is safe. It is loving to respect another human being’s space, life and belongings. It is loving to simply try to understand another human being and his/her life’s travels.

The past four years have taught me that the world would be a better place if we remembered the Golden Rule “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

This is simply a rule that helps us to remember that there is a great power in acting out of love.