Respect The Little Guy

Arin - City, Colorado
Themes: respect
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The one thing that bugs me the most is the fact that people have a lack of respect for the people with “dead end” jobs. People need to respect the people that do the job that nobody else wants to do. They do that job so people with lesser tolerances to certain sights, smells, or workplaces. I have worked two of the hundreds of “dead end” jobs. I was a busser for two years and am now a dish washer and have been for one year.

I’m 19. Six months into my dishwashing job I became the supervisor for the dishwashers . Just because I’m a supervisor doesn’t mean that I just sit back and watch; I’m in all the filth along with my four man dish crew, three of them older than me. The five of us wash dishes for all of the 263 hotel rooms, the very large banquet hall, the complimentary breakfast for our guests, our restaurant, and the employee dishes from lunch and dinner.

We are constantly getting dishes back to us. It’s a never ending cycle. It makes our job a lot easier when the dishes are put neatly on the carts and are not just thrown at us. We always get someone that literally throws dishes at us and says “Hey! I need this washed right now!” We will still wash it and half the time they will be right back to get it from us. It makes us angry when people say that and they do not even come back to get what they needed.

One way to keep a good attitude in the workplace would be to respect the guys who are doing the job that you don’t want to do, because without them, you would be the one doing that job. If you disrespect them they will start to get frustrated and a bad attitude will spread like a virus. It may not be on purpose, but it will. Even by just a facial expression.

So to sum up what I’m trying to say to everyone is just respect the laborers who are working very hard to keep the workplace clean, who are putting up the walls of a new building, or keeping the buffet filled so you can eat till you feel like you’re going to explode. They go through a lot of hard work, most of it not seen by the public, to serve the public. I believe in respecting the little guy.