Neapolitan Ice Cream

Adam - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Themes: tolerance
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in Neapolitan ice cream. Neapolitan ice cream has every end of the spectrum all combined into one. Not only are they so different, but they are all together under the same roof. I believe we should take from this as humans. Everybody is different, an individual, and should be treated as such. What makes us human is our own variations in how we look, act, or think. Think about how the world would be if the idea of difference did not exist.

Many people are opposed to change or difference and often try to stifle it. To quote House (from the Fox T.V. drama) “skinny, socially privileged white people get to draw this neat little circle. And everyone inside the circle is “normal.” Anyone outside the circle needs to be beaten, broken and reset so that they can be brought into the circle. Failing that, they should be institutionalized, or even worse – pitied.” While I do not mean to be as abrasive as House, I agree with his point. The ‘popular’ crowd creates a mold of ‘normal’ and those who do not fit into it are generally shunned or are cajoled into being ‘normal.’ I ask, “Why can’t I act just a little out of the normal and not be chastised?” The general population needs to learn how to accept people’s differences and live with them.

In addition, one needs to remember to keep the differences that make them an individual. I see people change all the time just to fit in to a certain group or to copy someone else. There is a reason we are called individuals because there is nobody like you, except if you have an identical twin. Be yourself because if you aren’t then who are you? There is so little time in this world to worry about trying to make other people happy, do what you want. Go out and be different or change something, just keep your difference and be accepting of others.

We could stand to learn a thing or two from Neapolitan ice cream. Neapolitan lives under one roof, or a lid in this case. There are never any issues; chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry all retain their own unique characteristics, yet live side by side happily. Would Neapolitan ice cream be nearly as delicious if they were one big swirl where you could not tell one from the other? Or, would one solid flavor be any better? I say no because differences are what sets us apart, and is what adds variety to our lives.