Growing Up In A Small Town

Keri - Miles, Iowa
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Small Town Girl

Friday night lights, gas station gossip, or kids playing in sprinklers: these are just a few of the everyday happenings in the small town. Large cities and small towns all have their advantages and disadvantages. Many people believe that growing up in a big city is the way to go, but I believe living in a small town offers more chances at learning key life lessons.

Lesson one: crime and safety. Crime plays a major roll in many communities. This is where the small towns often offer more security verses a large city. I remember growing up on a small farm in the country; I would not have changed it for the world. The only rules I had were to say off the road and be home by dark. I would spend all day outside exploring and hiking in the woods. The amazing part was that our parents had peace of mind even though we were out on our own. This is why I could not imagine living in a large city. You live side by side with neighbors and the unknown is inevitable. Large city crime can range anywhere from drugs or even a shooting. In a small town however, one of the worst crimes you could do is wear miss matching socks to church.

Lesson two: you know everyone in town and everyone knows you. For me personally, this gave me a sense of accountability. I felt this way because you never know who is watching you. Growing up, if you caused trouble, word got back to your parents before you did. I personally enjoy going to a small high school. The class sizes are small so the relationship between students and teachers is strong. To a small town, football season is the highlight of the year. From wearing a boy’s jersey down the hall, to cheering your heart out at the game Friday night, football season is what people of all ages look forward to. A group of friends in a small town are inseparable from one another. They know when something is wrong with one another and if you pick a fight with one; you get them all.

Lesson three: you learn to appreciate what you have. Growing up in a small town, you live on a farm, have a family member that farms, or know someone close the family that farms. Living in a rural area lets you see how much work it takes to raise the food and animals that a lot of other people take for granted. To people in a small town, a home-cooked meal often means a homegrown meal as well.

So as I’ve stated, a small town offers good qualities. From lower crime rates, a tight-knit community, and learning to appreciate what you have, I would without a doubt continue to live my life in a small town.