I Value Education

Elizabeth - Fleming Island, Florida
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in the value of education. The value of education in my life has changed throughout the years. The older I grew the more important the value of education became.

I was born in Oceanside, N.Y. on December 8th, 1970 to immigrant parents from the Dominican Republic with a third grade level education. As a young child, and Spanish being my first language; my parents tried to instill in me and my two younger brothers the importance of education and encouraged us to do well in school. While I attended elementary school I can remember having a difficult time learning because of the language barrier. I was placed in an ESL class to help me with my English. I can remember having a tough time with my social studies homework and having to go to my neighbors for help and if they were available they would help me. I dreaded going to school as a kid. I was made fun of because I was different and because I had a hard time learning. The value of education was very low at this point in my life.

In High School I knew education was important, but I did not realize it until my guidance chancellor called me to her office and said that I did not have enough credits to graduate with my class. This news, tore me up inside. I had to drop out. This was not the path that I wanted. At this point in my life was when I learned the “value of education”, and it really hit me. I had not taken school as seriously as I should have. After dropping out of high school, I decided to get my GED and went on to a trade school and excelled. I graduated first in my class because I valued education.

As an adult I’ve always regretted not going to college and getting a degree. It wasn’t until my son Daniel was born four years ago, that I came to the realization that I needed to put education first in my life. I needed to set the right example for him and also be a better provider for my family. I’ve had to endure many struggles throughout my life because I did not value education. These days, with the help of my mother at home with the kids, I attend school part time, while I work full time in furniture sales. I’m looking forward to a degree in Radiography. Being a first generation child in this country, I do understand the value of education and understand how the education system works. My children will not face the hardships I had to face, but will enjoy the benefits of the education this country has to offer.