History Always Repeats Itself

Hovin - New York, New York
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Many believe that events which have already happened in the past are only events which will help us learn from our mistakes. But I believe that history will never stop. It will always repeat itself as many times as it can.

The actions someone takes in their life are not immediate, but always progressive. This is because their actions are never done when they complete the action. It’s always the starting point of a new action. As a child and student, I have taken countless actions whether important or not. What I act for, what I act from, and what my actions do, is part of the history in my life. They aren’t just there when I was because I was doing it, they were there so that in the case that I would need to do something similar, I would know how to. History in a person repeats itself. History in the world repeats itself. History repeats itself no matter how many people try to say that it’s just how people of the present think like people of the past. That too is only history repeating itself. History, has a lot of legacies and minor events that just keep happening in so many different ways, that one would not believe it’s repetition.

A lot of the legacies of the past dating back to the Revolutionary War, can be used as an example. African Americans who were mostly enslaved at the time were allowed to fight. You see this occurring again during the World Wars where they were allowed in the military. This is but one example out of many that history doesn’t really change. It is more of a change in the thinking of the people and how they act. I believe that history repeats for the sole purpose of teaching people where they went wrong, and showing them how they have changed.

The injustices of the past are revealed in the present. The ways that people tried to change are shown in the present. The mistakes that people make are repeated in the present. But everything originates from the past. The current present will also one day become a past and the new present that replaces it will reflect on this present that we have. History is one of many things that likes to repeat itself. A teacher might get annoyed if they had to repeat what they say over and over. But history, is a teacher that doesn’t stop repeating what it “says” until mankind gets it into their system. History does not care for what we think unless it’s what it wants us to think. History does not care for our actions unless it’s the actions that it has been seeking from us the whole time. I believe that history is just like a stubborn child. It just keeps doing the same thing over and over until it gets what it wants; like a child that would whine, cry, and scream until its wants are met.