I Believe in Spoken Words

Kasey - Kensington, Maryland

The definition of the word cell is “the basic unit of a living thing.” What scares me is that for some people, when you attach the word “phone” at the end, the definition stays the same; the basic unit of a living thing.

I believe I was never meant to own a cell phone. I lose my phone all the time and even if I do have my phone it is rarely charged. My once contemporary phone has made me a technological laughing stock amongst my peers. To them, it is inconceivable that my phone can’t even access the internet. These days, phones have tons of applications that can do anything and everything imaginable. One convenient tool is the contact list. Rolodexes and Little Black Books are no longer a necessity. No one memorizes numbers anymore either. After my brother recently got a new phone I sent him a text message. His instant reply read “Yo, new phone who is this?”

My friends are always teasing me and encourage me to take advantage of the “upgrade” I have accredited since I have had my phone for soo long. But my response is always “If it isn’t broken, why replace it?” I believe it is easy to get wrapped up in technology. In distancing myself from my cell phone I have not become deprived but have become liberated.

Without a cell phone, texting is not a possibility, forcing whoever needs to get in touch with me to pick up the phone and have an actual conversation. It is hard to believe that this is what the phone was originally intended for. So, let me hear your sweet voice instead of interpreting “wut ur txt msg sayz” and call me. I am going off to college in a few months and even though keeping in touch is more efficient and accessible now more than ever, I would hardly consider a few text messages a sustainable way to maintain a friendship. Texts, wall posts, tweets, bbm’s are all portals of communication but cannot capture the real essence of you, the way spoken words can.