God’s Gift

Jessie - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: Christianity

I believe that each of us has a special and unique gift given to us by God. Wow our own gift from God! Each gift given to us by God is different from other people’s gifts, and makes us special and unique to him and his kingdom. Whether we choose to search for and embrace God’s gift is our choice.

In many ways, I believe God’s gift helps us to grow and become the person he created us to be. I believe that I am still searching to discover the other half of the amazing gift that God has given me. God has revealed to me the gift of compassion. He gives me the ability to see people for who they are on the inside. I don’t care what other people say about them. I feel that I am led to care for those who are hurting, or those who others might not think much of. I believe that God has blessed me with discernment. I hope that my choices will lead others to know and love Christ. When I use God’s gifts in my daily life, I glorify him, by obeying all that he is asking of me, which is to use my gift to further his kingdom, and reach out to others. Not only does using my gift glorify God, but I feel my life is happier and as well. I believe that God gives us free will. God wants us to come to him by our own choice, not by fear or being forced. It’s absolutely astonishing how much faith I have seen that God has in me, so much more than I had in myself. God gives me strength and determination to carry through when I think I can’t go on any longer. For instance, God helps me through school, relationships, pressure, and many other challenges I face. He truly pushes me to push myself to do better in everything I pursue. I have realized that when I choose to do God’s way, the outcome is much greater. Otherwise, when I choose to follow my own selfish nature, there are consequences I have to face to get me back on track with God. I believe when I go down a path that is not pleasing to God, he allows me to go through certain consequences to learn from my mistakes. Sometimes, I think the consequences I must face are cruel and unfair, but in the long run, I end up seeing how they tie into God’s plan for my life. The choices I make are maybe to lie, or to disobey my parents, or to disobey some of the other commandments that God calls us to live by. The choices I make, and the consequences I receive might not seem very big, but to me, I instantly regret making those choices. These consequences help me to not rely on human nature and the world, but rather on God. Every time I even think about doing something against God’s will, I believe God is the voice on the inside guiding me elsewhere. It is almost as if I can hear God’s voice saying,

“What in the world do you think you are doing Jessie?” Or he might tell me, “ What are you waiting for, I want you to go and do this.”

I have realized how much harder life is when I try to make choices without talking or listening to God first. When I was a young teen I became prideful about accepting my hearing loss and wearing my hearing aids. I started lying to my parents about wearing them, and missed out on meeting other hearing impaired kids at UH. I also missed out on the opportunity to learn sign language, which would have been cool to know. It would have been very beneficial for me to help others now and honor God. Even now, I still struggle with accepting my hearing loss. I know that God will help me get through this, and help me to realize that it does not define who I am. Take my advice, from the many mistakes I have made, and I am only sixteen. It is so much easier and more peaceful for me to let go, and let God. Why couldn’t I figure that out earlier? I guess I was being human and wanting to do everything my way. I believe in just giving my life to God, and letting him guide me. Why not? I can just hear God saying,

“Jessie, stop trying to do it on your own, it doesn’t work that way. I will take care of everything.”

He truly does know what is best for me. I believe God’s plans for my life are much bigger and better than the plans I had for myself. I just need to sit back and enjoy the journey; it’s all taken care of.