I Believe in a Good Kiss

Amanda - Washington, North Carolina
Themes: love
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I am rather a romantic type of girl. I think the phrase is “hopeless romantic”. There are many things that I enjoy about the relationship between a boy and a girl. I love the laughing, the blushing, and the butterflies. But mostly, I believe in a good kiss.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not the type of girl that goes around kissing every boy I see. I was 16 years old when I had my first real kiss. (I constitute a real kiss in that the kiss must be given somewhere other than in a sandbox or behind a bush, and also, the kiss must be given and received by persons over the age of three). Since my first kiss, I have kissed only a few other guys, but it is one of my favorite things to do. I believe in kisses because of how they make memories, and these memories make me smile.

I’ve had several memorable kisses. One of my favorites was on the Fourth of July. I was walking around my neighborhood with a boy. We stopped and kissed in the road, and seconds after our kiss, real fireworks lit up the sky. Another was when a good friend of mine shook up our friendship when he pushed me up against a wall and surprise attacked my mouth. I remember kisses on the beach, kisses on the cheek, kisses in the car, and kisses in the snow. I remember first kisses and kisses after long trips. And kisses that completely blew my mind, for no specific reason at all.

My belief in a good kiss isn’t just about me and my kisses. I believe in kisses because of the way they make everyone feel. Isn’t everyone’s favorite part of the wedding ceremony when the preacher says, “you may now kiss the bride”? If you are reading this right now, wouldn’t you rather be kissing someone great? The love of a kiss is worldwide. Poems and songs in all languages are written about kisses, and people like enjoy hearing these, because if you can’t be kissing someone, you can at least be thinking about kissing someone. All over the world people kiss. The idea of a kiss is huge, universal, but the act is so small.

I believe in kisses because of the suspense before you get one. I believe in the warmth that can spread from your lips to the rest of your body, or the breath that can be siphoned from your lungs after receiving a kiss. I love how a kiss can confuse everything, or make things perfectly clear. I believe that, in the famous words of Rhett Butler, “You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.” I love a good kiss. I believe in a good kiss.