Reason to Scream Ice Cream

Bethany - Bowling Green, Ohio

Themes: pleasure
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

This I believe: ice cream is a mood changer and a friendship maker for all on earth. Ice cream is one of the most loved sweets in the United States. It comes in many different types and flavors. One can even add toppings. No matter what type of ice cream one likes or what is put on their sundae, eating ice cream can help in many ways. I am obsessed with ice cream. I desire it during every season. In winter, ice cream brings warmth to a cold and gloomy season. In spring, it radiates sunshine on a rainy day. In summer, ice cream fights off the heat, and in fall it rejuvenates the spirit as creation dies away. I believe ice cream is a positive choice for every situation.

Ice cream is a mood changer. This past fall I was on Bowling Green High School’s varsity tennis team. It was late in the season and my partner and I were undefeated. Our next match was against our league rival, Perrysburg High School. I hate Perrysburg like dogs hate cats. Perrysburg is the meanest, cockiest school in Northwest Ohio. Sadly they are great athletes too. We were playing for first place in our league. That day we had the biggest crowd ever for a girls tennis match. From the start of the match I knew it was going to be intense. Unfortunately the first set didn’t go our way, but this made us more determined to win. We fought hard and won the second set. It came down to the third and final set. All of our other teammates were done playing, and the score was tied two to two. I began to get tired in the third set and I could tell my partner was too. It was like these Perrysburg girls were a rechargeable battery and never ran out of energy. Game. Set. Match. We lost to our rival.

Our loss caused the team to lose, and our dream for an undefeated season was shattered. I was devastated. I needed something to distract my attention from this painstaking loss, so I turned to ice cream. I got myself a big bowl of chocolate ice cream, and in the blink of an eye I began to feel better. Ice cream is for every frame of mind. When one is happy, vanilla ice cream smothered in sprinkles can be eaten as a festivity. When one is sad, chocolate ice cream comforts the soul. When one is mad, moose tracks ice cream is a positive way to melt away revenge. Finally, when glad about an accomplishment, a banana split celebrates a victory.

Ice cream is also a social assistant. If one is lonely and is looking for something to do, ice cream can be your best friend. When one is with friends, it can get the party going. When one is spending time with family, ice cream can strengthen the bonds. Finally when one is with strangers, ice cream can become the conversation.

For every mood, whether happy, mad, sad, or glad, turn to ice cream. If you’re feeling lonely or looking for something to do with the family or friends, eat ice cream. From experience, I know it will comfort you and help you from making a bad decision that you may regret. I believe in Ben and Jerry’s, Dairy Queen, Cold Stone, and Toft’s. I believe in Ice Cream!