Nice Guys Finish Last

Emery - Saint Leo, Florida

I believed that for every good thing that happens in your life there is a bad for a long time, but now after certain events I believe that bad things happen to good people.

I left my dorm room at 3:15 on November 20 thinking that I could shut and lock my door to keep everything inside. While at home in New Hampshire 1500 miles away from school I received a phone call from my roommate who returned early. He called me upset and a bit frightened; he said that everything in our room was stolen. So me being a curious asked some questions like was the door broken down? Was everything thrown around? And finally what exactly can you tell me was stolen. Then the news came over the phone. Our T.v, Xbox, sounds system, spare phones, some clothes and shoes were all taken. Still being at home I hung up the phone and called my parents for some security.

My mother is a Victim/ Witness Advocate and my father is a State Trooper they always know what to say when things like this happen. Both being from strong legal backgrounds they told me to tell my roommate write a police report and file it for a case number and then wait. My parents and I aren’t worried as much about the items but more about my security and privacy being compromised while away from my room for only a week.

A week after coming back to school I decided to follow up with the case. I drove to the police station down the road from my school, walked in and asked one of the sheriff’s about my case. He told me news I did not want to hear from someone who is suppose to be protecting me. He said that since they didn’t receive enough evidence from the crime scene that the investigation couldn’t be followed through. The only way for the sheriff’s department to continue the investigation is for them to get more evidence or a lead needs to surface. Again not knowing what to do I called my mom.

My mom told me that she knew how upset I was about this whole situation and she knew how much it sucked but that all I can do is try to find something out or wait for someone to slip up and surface themselves. Trusting what my mother told me I said my goodbyes and hung up. It is now two weeks later and still no sign of me getting my questions answered or having my things returned to me. I do not know what I did to hurt someone but apparently it was enough for them to want to hurt me back.

There are nice people in this world. But that doesn’t mean that they’re not susceptible to the real life occurrences of the modern day.