The Good Years Ahead

Donald Whitford - Volga, Iowa
Age Group: 65+
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

While stationed at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, last year, I had the opportunity to visit our nation’s capitol many times. Amidst all the magnificent buildings and surroundings, my eyes were drawn again and again to the Washington Monument, beautiful in its simplicity. It became a symbol to me of a way of life and conduct. I wish to build my life on its pattern, going straight and clean until I reach the God that created me.

I believe in the Bible, especially in what Jesus says about loving one another. I also believe what Paul said about faith, hope and love. To me love is the best, greatest and strongest force in the world.

As a guide for living, I aim to apply the Golden Rule. No day is wasted if I have made a friend or helped someone.

To me, all men are equal; I value the friendship of anyone I meet, anywhere on earth. I count myself no better and no worse than the man next to me.

Everyone wants to succeed, and win the game he’s playing, but he should remember that the score doesn’t always tell the story. It’s the way we play that counts.

Being happy doesn’t depend upon possessions. More than anything else in the world I want to go home, marry and raise a family. With that in mind I shall conduct myself in a way that will not jeopardize all the good years ahead. We reap according to what we sow.