Family is My Happiness

Terri - Hodgdon, Maine
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

My Grandmother, Wilma has been a big part of my life. She believes she is the woman she is because of family. She has overcome the death of her husband, my grandfather when she was 58 years old; she lived in the depression era and raised three sons; and she has battled cancer and a number of illnesses. She is 94 years old now. One day, I asked my Grandmother what kept her going through the hard times and she said “Family”. She said that we gave meaning to her life. We kept her going when it didn’t seem like she could go on in life. My boyfriend, Tom and his family have also shown and proved to me that family is happiness and joy. They make each other want to be better people. They support each other when one is in need or down on life. They are my biggest supports in pursuing my dream to be a nurse. I believe the love and support that they show me will help me everyday in my life. They help me to strive everyday to become the best possible person and nurse I can possible be. This is why I truly believe family is happiness.

I believe family is the key to happiness and happiness makes you want to be a better person. I believe without family people never have true happiness or complete joy in their lives. I have family members, some blood and some not blood related, that make me want to be the best person I can be. I believe that without the joy and fulfillment that they give to my life and show me everyday, I wouldn’t work as hard everyday to achieve my dream of being a nurse. I believe that without family there is no meaning to your life. My family gives me the support I need to want to better my life and become a successful nurse. They make me want to live to my potential. I want to bestow in my kids that family is important. Family provides happiness in life, I truly believe this. I want my children to know that family keeps a person going when life is tough and hard. Family will give my children true meaning to life. Family will give them the support they will need to make it through life.