There Should be Subtitles at Movie Theaters

Karina - Linden, Michigan

I believe that all individuals should be able to watch movies at a movie theater and that counts for the hearing impaired. My own brother cannot even have the experience of walking into a building with the smell of freshly made popcorn. He can’t buy the ticket for that one movie that’s been advertising on T.V. for months. He does not even get the chance to choose from all of the candy and pop that most likely won’t even be finished. Don’t forget, he can’t choose that lucky seat that is more comfy than they look. My brother does not get that part of his life only because he is deaf. I believe this is wrong.

There should be subtitles at every movie theater. A small screen on the side or below the large screen with every word that is said and sound that is made, appearing upon it will be the subtitles for the movie. These will be the words that the hearing impaired will be able to use. There shouldn’t be just one theater for deaf people or they shouldn’t only turn subtitles on when a deaf person comes to the movies. That would be discrimination. There are not certain rooms for people in wheel chairs or for people who have trouble walking. They get to sit with everyone else and so should the hearing impaired. Also, the law states that every movie theater has to be handicap accessible but what happened to the hearing impaired? The screen does not have to be distracting or anything special, but something to make someone’s life fulfilled. This one screen could change a child’s childhood; make an elderly persons day; or like my brother, just give them the experience. While many places might say it is too expensive, I don’t believe them. Movie theaters build ramps and chairs for the handicapped. They build the best screen and seating for everyone. Theaters spend thousands of dollars but will not even put in a small screen for people to read.

My brother has seen movies. He can eat popcorn and candy. He can watch a movie on a screen with friends and family. Although, this only happens at home. Who wants to watch the next big movie at home, that has already been out for three months? Most likely, there is already a big movie out again and my brother has to wait until he can watch it at home again.

I want to see my brother walk into a movie theater amazed and walk out happier then ever. I believe that everyone needs that movie experience, which includes my brother. I want him to eat movie theater popcorn and get his favorite candy. He needs to buy that one ticket for the one movie he has been dying to see! I hope that my brother will be able to sit in one of the many comfy seats. My brother, Steven Westphal, is going to have the chance to do all these things because I believe there will be subtitles at movie theaters.