Success Happens When Preparation meets Opportunity

Max - Syracuse, New York
Themes: work
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

For many years, I had been put under the impression that hard work pays off. Many kids around the world are all told by their teachers, parents, and other important figures in their lives that if they work hard, they will find success in this world. Until recently, that sentiment drove me to succeed in life. After reading a book by NFL super agent Drew Rosenhaus, I learned that he lived his life with the knowledge that hard work would not automatically bring him success.

Hall of Fame NFL Coach Jimmy Johnson once said: “Success happens when opportunity meets preparation”. This is a quote that I truly believe will lead to mine and many other peoples success in life. If someone does not put themselves in the position to succeed, there hard work will never pay off. For example, Drew Rosenhaus worked extremely hard to prepare himself to become an NFL agent, but if he had not attended numerous NFL training camps, and had not put himself in the vicinity of numerous college superstar athletes, he would never have had the opportunity for success. By putting himself in a position for his hard work to meet opportunity he was able to become arguably the most influential figure in football.

This quote is important for everyone to take notice of, because it is something that many people don’t follow. There are a huge amount of people around the world who work extremely hard, but do not find success because they expect success to come to them. It should be noted by everyone that it is equally important to put yourself in a position to succeed than it is to work hard. Take Drew Rosenhaus as a perfect example of this.