A New Beginning

Sameena - Norcross, Georgia
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The fourth of July, 2009, will hold in my heart a special meaning: an awakening, a revival, and a beginning of a wondrous journey. Today, I became a proud citizen of the great country of The United States of America. I will stay true to my oath and defend this country, its constitution, and its people.

Long before today, I have reveled in the freedom this amazing country has given me. I still vividly remember the day I left the country of my birth to come here. For days, I felt lonesome and desolate. As days molded into months, I found an astounding independence that lacked in the country of my birth. The United States of America gave me: the freedom to express myself; the freedom to live fully each day; and the freedom from the judgments of society. Soon, this country became my home. I learned quickly that in my new home, society would not dictate to me how I live, what I do, and scrutinize my every move. Here, I found the freedom to express myself fully without the harsh judgments of society.

Today, July 4, 2009, I feel proud and humbled to become a privileged citizen of The United States of America.

Today, I feel empowered with an illimitable potential to serve this great country. My desire is to make a difference in the lives of thousands of men and women by sharing the spirit of liberty, gratitude, and power of reflection.

Today, I will begin to speak from my heart and influence men and women from all walks of life to celebrate and embrace the richness and diversity that this great country has to offer.

Today, I will begin to find ways to touch lives of people and organizations in this land which gave me freedom of expression.

Today, I will begin to rekindle the passion that has been extinguished from people jaded with life.

Today, I will begin to influence people to invest in their communities and make a difference in the world around them.

Today, I will begin to articulate my vision where the true value of people, human spirit, and human need are recognized.

Today, I will begin to spread the message that will unleash the hidden potential of people that will transform the ordinary into extraordinary in this great nation of The United States of America.

This day forth, I will work with an optimism that I can become a catalyst in bringing about positive changes in this noble star-spangled country of The United States of America.