Here’s to You, Merrie

Jordyn Maeda - Pearl City, Hawaii
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

This has been the most difficult topic I’ve ever had to write about. I have many beliefs, don’t get me wrong, but they aren’t exactly the positive, hopeful views on society most seem to have. I believe that money indirectly buys happiness. I believe that love is only a scientific concept romanticized. I believe that everything happens for a reason—but seldom ever the comforting reason people desperately search for. This is why I’ve never actually shared my beliefs. They aren’t just different; by common opinion, they’re wrong.

Regardless, I won’t change my beliefs. Not out of spite or insecurity, but effortless complacency. I’ve never had a reason to change, because although my views aren’t positive, they aren’t quite cynical either. I’ve never had a reason to change, because I’ve learned so much from an unbiased standpoint. My beliefs have been the unyielding foundation of my life for as long as I’d like to recall, and I’ve never had a reason to change them. That is, until now. Until her.

I don’t have a job. I don’t have wealthy parents. I’m just an ordinary middle-class boy unlike so many of her admirers. I saved up for valentines, but all I could get her was a rose and a teddy from Build-a-Bear. I almost didn’t give them to her out of embarrassment; she already had a bouquet of flowers, among other gifts, and when I did (give them to her, that is) they seemed incredibly cheap and insignificant. I wished her a happy Valentine’s Day with a forced smile and was about to turn away when she wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me quickly, then looked down, blushing. I held her close and kissed her back, which seemed like a good, romantic idea at the time—until we were interrupted by a teacher.

Being written up for PDA does have a way of ruining a moment, but that’s beside the point—she kissed me. Me—a rose and a teddy beside so many elegant bouquets and expensive chocolates. Me—the poster boy for ordinary. I tried to find reason in this, but nothing more came to mind, except perhaps, love. And this was so much more than a scientific concept. No amount of observation and analysis could ever hope to describe these feelings.

Hasn’t it become tradition to change for the one you love? And being with her has compelled me to do just that. I am happiest when I’m with her. Our time is free; I believe in priceless happiness. She’s made me realize that love is something science can identify, but never quantify. I believe in romance. And finally, I believe some things don’t have explanations, and we don’t need them.

Here’s to you, Merrie. I believe in love.

Jordyn Maeda is a junior at Moanalua High School in Honolulu, Hawaii. He plays the trumpet in his school’s symphonic band, marching band, and color guard. He is also in Moanalua’s Prelaw Society (mock trial) Team and in DECA (Delta Epsilon Chi).