I Believe Everyone Should Own a Pet Once in His or Her Life

Allie - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that everyone should own an animal once in their lives because everyone deserves to experience the love animals give back to the owners they adore.

Nothing beats the joy of having a pet see and greet you for the first time that day or after you’ve returned from being away. If I’m driving and my dog, Joey, sees me drive by our front door where she always lays on the rug and sunbathes, she’ll start barking the minute she sees my car. I won’t even turn into the driveway yet and she’ll bark and run to the garage door to greet me. As I walk in the house she runs up to me wagging her long Labrador tail and wiggling her butt from side to side. Her ears always turn backwards and she runs in between my legs. I always say actions speak louder than words and this I believe is the case with animals.

Entering the barn for the first time that day is completely different than greeting my dog, but I love both of them. The minute I walk in the barn I’ll call out my horse’s name, Bo, and wait for his response. Less than five seconds later I’ll hear his shrill whinny come from the end of the aisle. As I walk towards his stall he continues whinnying until he can see me. He’s standing by the door when I get to his stall and as soon as I open it he bursts his head out and searches my hands and pockets for treats. In the winter he’ll even un-zipper my jacket to see if I have treats in my sweatshirt.

Animals have the best senses in the world, in my opinion, especially my first dog, Marley. According to my mom, when I was a baby and crawling around, playing with my toys on the floor, Marley would try extra hard not to step on me, not even my fingers or toes. I have pictures of me lying right on top of Marley when he’s completely sprawled out on his side. He always knew to be gentle with me and never once harmed me in any way. My present dog Joey isn’t as caring as Marley was but she can still read people well. If I’m ever crying and she hears me she’ll come running to me and put her nose right in my face, and if she feels really bad she’ll start licking my face too. My horse acts like Marley and is especially gentle with younger kids. When they ask to pet him he’ll stand still as can be and let them stroke his nose over and over without flinching, but when I try to pet him he’ll start nudging me for treats. Animals are amazing in every aspect and every human deserves to experience owning one because there’s not a day in my life when one of my pets CAN’T make my day better.