This Is Who I Am

Guadalupe - Chicago, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

When girls turn 15 they usually have a quinceañera. My dad always told me, “A quinceañera help girls become a woman.” Family and friends help to celebrate this special day with the girl. I believe in girls having their quinceañera.

I have seen 15-year old girls in their beautiful, elegant dresses and having their parties. I have always wanted to be like them. All the girls that were having their quinceañera looked like they were having fun and were all very happy.

The quinceañera receptions have a theme. The themes are a candy theme or an elegance theme. The girls wear beautiful pink, orange, and green dresses of different colors. I want to have a beautiful dress and show my family and friends that I am turning into a woman. This would make me feel special, and jealous because I was jealous of all the girls having their quinceañera. I was feeling special because I would become a woman and makes me feel special.

Once or twice a month I go out to visit my uncle and aunt. He always asks me how old I am. I respond with my age. “It is almost that time,” my uncle replies. I already know what he is talking about: My quinceañera! My uncle always tells me, “Having a quinceañera is a part of our religion.” Our religion is that when girls turn 15, they usually have a quinceañera to celebrate the girl turning into a woman. This makes me want to have a quinceañera of my own because it would make me feel grown up and it symbolizes that I am going to become a woman.

All my experiences with my family have taught me that I have a belief in a quinceañera. My family helped me to realize my belief because they know that a quinceañera is a part of who Mexican girls are and they represent a time in our lives that show we are growing up to become powerful women. That is who I am.