I Believe in America

Connor - franklin, Tennessee
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in America. I also believe that America is not the borders of this country but the people of this country, therefore I believe in Americans too. I believe that while other nations hold America to be rude, or rash, or whatever else I feel it is only ill will because of jealousy. In the short time America has been a country, we have become a dominant world super power. And while other nations feel we have no morals and no manners, whom do they call when someone attacks them? America! Time and time again, because America listens, and America cares. And while many times we may spend countless hours arguing smaller differences, between democrats/republicans, pro-life/pro-choice, or just north/south we always know we are all Americans. And as Americans we look after our own. No time was this more true than on September 11th 2001 when terrorist hijacked planes and crashed them into the twin towers, the pentagon, and into a field. First, the plane that crashed into the field. The passengers over took their hijackers, sacrificing themselves to save others that they knew would die if the plane made it to its hijackers planned destination. Americans saving Americans, not neighbors, friends, or family, but, all Americans. As for the plane that hit the pentagon, people who saw it rushed to help, the American people aiding the American government, because that’s what Americans do, we help those in need no matter what, even when roles are reversed, and the protectors are saved by those they seek to protect. This holds true still for the two planes that hit the world trade centers in New York. People who saw the planes hit, rushed to aid the injured, the elderly and anyone who needed help getting out alive. Many of which, including countless paramedics and firefighters, died saving others in the chaos. While these people were complete strangers they were bound together by the bond that only Americans understand, a bond past down from generations of heroes from the battlefields of WWI and WWII, to the jungles of Vietnam, a ever present feeling and urge to help our fellow American when an outsider attacks. It’s a feeling we have all felt, whether it is on the fourth of July or the 11th of September. The only word I know for it is Patriotism, a love for your country, and a need to protect all others who call it home. And I too believe in patriotism. I always have. I also believe that too many “Americans” bad mouth America. For most America is a place to better yourself, prosper, or escape persecution, so for those Americans who feel like bad mouthing America, or Americans, can better everyone’s situation, including their own, by leaving. And for those who flee to America I’m glad to see them and will welcome them into our home. But for those who enter this land illegally and send American money from American jobs to other nations, they can leave too. Because America is a family, and we all do our part to help, and with hard work we prosper. But with the gift of prosperity to all those who seek it, America must be aware of those who would exploit her and rob her of her wealth. Believing in America is also believing in hard honest work and believing in each other. Sometimes all it takes is to believe, and I believe in Americans. And I am proud to be an American. And I believe in America, and so should you.