Sleep Don’t Weep

Jillian - 01040, Massachusetts

Last night, I went to bed at one A.M. This morning, I woke up at twenty of eight. I got just under seven hours of sleep last night, enough for some people, but not for me. I believe in getting a good night’s rest. A night without adequate sleep translates into a day with a major attitude. Ten hours of sleep makes a person feel better, look better, and most importantly, act better, this I believe.

Take example, this morning. I’m absolutely beat. My inability to wake up this morning due to exhaustion led me to miss breakfast, throw on a T-shirt and sweatpants in five minutes, and break about ten different laws as I rocketed to school in order to arrive on time. And now that I’m here, I’m surely not in the best of moods. I can barely keep my eyes open, which is pretty much accepted as a no-no when I’m mixing chemicals in the science lab.

Nobody is going to receive the best version of Jill today. Today it’s a muted, slightly distracted version. I’m sure my calculus test will go exceptionally well, as I attempt to crunch numbers and find derivatives in a sleep- deprived daze. My tennis match at four o’clock this afternoon will be a blast also. I’m sure there’s some scientific evidence linking utter overtiredness with poor hand-eye coordination.

All I can think about today is going home, crawling into my bed, and crashing until my alarm goes off tomorrow morning. This less than stellar day could all have been fixed with a simple thing- rest. That’s why I believe in sleep- not staying up to watch those late night talk shows or some pointless movie, but sleep. If you have to wake up early in the morning, go to bed early. You’ll thank me in the morning.