Natalia - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in dancing. Through dancing I can express myself in several ways. From the unique costumes to the different styles of dancing, dance licenses me to get out of my shell and transform into something I cannot be in everyday life.

I remember when I first choreographed my first dance. I had been so used to performing other people’s dances and becoming content with them that I never thought to choreograph myself. Once my dance was chosen by my teacher I was astounded. I never thought that my choreography was good enough for other people to perform. Soon enough I figured out that I was wrong. People gave me compliments on my unique dance moves. Choreographing dances was not about the compliments though. For me, it was about the crowd. I thought to myself, what would make the crowd love to watch my dance? I had the opportunity for people to admire and be happy because they watched a piece of me coming alive on stage. I took this opportunity and ran with it.

Choreography was an entire new unit to dance. Watching the crowd go crazy over a dance that I choreographed was one of the best feelings ever. I got the chance to pick out my own costumes. All the decisions that I had the opportunity to make because I choreographed a dance were truly my inner feelings. Overall, this dance was all me.

Dance is a piece of me that I will never be able to give up. If it is dancing at concerts, weddings, friend’s parties, or simply just dancing to dance, I will always love it. As a person in everyday life, I am expected to act a certain way. On stage, I am able to unleash the inner actress and allow myself to be one with the dance.