My 18 Years of Experience

Jonathan - Palatine, Illinois

In 18 years, I have come to believe that there are three definite points to leading a happy and productive life. These are 1) balance is key, 2) keeping an open mind is a necessity, and 3) life is too short to be an ass. While I believe that there are more truths of a good life out there, there are no others that I have honestly been able to assign to fact in my mind in the 18 years I have had on Earth. Aside from these notions, I have come to believe a number of other things, though I leave these open to change as I experience new things acquire new information. Among these, I believe that ideas, principles, and systems should always been looked upon as works in progress, as complacency never seems to accomplish anything. This ties into what I see increasingly as the failed American dream, as once a comfort level is reached, whether it be in one’s education, work, relationships, and particularly aspirations and dreams, the attempt towards progress and improvement are halted. I believe that adaptation and a willingness to change are important, and that as we live and learn, we should adjust ourselves accordingly.