Attention to Detail

Amanda - Chandler, Arizona

I believe in thoughtfulness. In today’s era, we never have enough time to get everything done in one day. When choosing gifts for our family or friends, we usually pick up whatever is convenient for us; for example: candles, lotions and soaps, and flowers.

When I was a junior in high school, our soccer banquet was fast approaching and it was a great season for us; we had just won the State Championship title. I wanted to make something special for the five seniors that were graduating. I found these feet tall, card board material, cut out people. There were dark, tan, and white skin tones to choose from and I decided I would make duplicates of all the seniors with the little people. They all had individual traits or experiences happen to them that year so wanted to portray them on the paper dolls. First, I picked out the right skin tone for each girl; then made each uniform: the correct number they wore during the season in the middle of the jersey, in the upper left corner was the Mountain Pointe shield, and in the upper right corner was even the Nike swoosh symbol. I also made the shoes specific to each girl. Then I started the detailing of each girl.

At every game, Abri always had her hair in two French braids. Kat sported a bright pink and purple ribbon in her hair, as well as, a white athletic tape bracelet that said, ’GLBS’, which stood for ‘Good Luck Big Sister.’ Kali was a basketball player, but when she transferred to Mountain Pointe the school did not allow her to play, so she tried out for soccer and made the varsity team! Dawn had long blonde hair that easily went down to the small of her back. She decided she would cut it and donate it to Locks of Love. In the state championship final, Courtney scored the only goal in the game and when she scored she was wearing an elastic purple headband to hold back her hair.

I made every doll customized to each girl with the above qualities they showed during the soccer season.

I believe when you pay attention to detail, people will appreciate you and your gift more than if you just selected one from a grocery store. We need to take time from our busy day to think of memories you have shared with a person and commemorate that memory.