i believe in second chances

Reece - luxemburg, Wisconsin
Entered on May 12, 2009
Age Group: Under 18
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

What I am about to tell will only stronger your believes in god. Yes, I do believe in god, yes I believe in second chances and even third chances. I hope when I tell you that I got more than my share of second chances you will believe me. It all started before I was born my mom and my dad were waiting in the hospital room when the doctor came in and said that my mom was having me and when the doctor left my dad said that he didn’t want me he wanted to have an abortion because, it was to soon to have a child but thankfully my mom stuck to her heart and said to my dad “NO” we are having the baby, so after I was born my dad left me and mom and went to the army. So that’s the first time she saved my life, and I am very thankful for that.

I thank god for a lot of things these days but only one thing sticks to my mind that I will never forget. When I was 5 years old my mom went in for my yearly checkup, everything was fine until the doctors noticed several things wrong with my kidneys and, my bladder started to act up. So the doctors said that I needed a surgery to find out what was wrong so, that’s exactly what they did and they found out my kidneys weren’t functioned a 100% one was working at 20% percent and the other was working at 80% the one working at 20% was almost failing I could die with that kidney if it ruptured during surgery. Then they took a look at my bladder to see why I was having bladder infections the doctor said that I needed a new bladder so they put a new bladder in an adult sized bladder and when they did those two surgery’s I was back to normal.

I fell lucky to get second chances like those every once in a while its great to be alive and be able to run and play with your friends so if you have one of those days where you want to hurt yourself, stop and think to yourself wouldn’t it be better to be alive then dead. I believe in god because it’s the right thing, he’s saved my life and he’ll save yours to.