I Believe In Miracles

Alexis - boyertown, Pennsylvania
Entered on May 12, 2009
Age Group: 18 - 30
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I believe in miracles. The miracle I believe in is a blonde-curly-haired-boy who is always happy. A blonde-curly-haired boy that hides his disability by never giving up. He has never given up in life. He is always trying- trying to make people understand, laugh, and care. Whenever someone is down, they just have to look at his charming smile, and it makes things a lot better.

My miracle’s name is Joshua Wasson. He is my 9–year-old brother. He is a twin. He is a victim of Cerebral Palsy. Josh has been though a lot in life. He has endured seven surgeries, including the loss of his colon, and never has complained.

Josh is my miracle. He touches my life every day. He has taught me valuable lesson no other person could: to understand that not everyone is the same. He taught me that people come in every size shape, color, gender, and ability. When Josh laughs, it makes me feel blissful. He has a sense of humor that lightens up the room.

Whenever I hear someone say “I can’t,” I think back to my brother who is always saying, “I can or I’ll try.” Josh is currently walking with a walker and also uses a wheel chair at times. He has worked so hard that he is only in a life skills class 40% of the time he is in school. The other 60%, he is in his regular third grade class.

Josh has a very kind, loving heart. He cares about and loves everyone. My favorite thing about Josh is when I am just sitting there, not paying attention, he will take his little hand and brush it across my face. I love it even more when he tells me, “I love you all day long.” Joshua is just simply in my eyes a miracle!

There are miracles all around us. If you were ever to meet my brother you would see the little blonde-curly-haired miracle that I see. He is amazing in everyway. He is my miracle and always will be.