A leaf in the Wind

Kevin - Holyoke, Massachusetts

A red leaf hanging limply by the steam in late autumn is picked up by the wind and carried away to new places, swirling and moving as it passes over a field, it will land somewhere but no one can guess where, it is unpredictable. I believe that we all have philosophies on how to live our life, each one of us comes from a different place, we think different, we act different, we simply are different. These immense differences lead each one of us to a different place which gives us all a unique philosophy and outlook on the world around us. What may make us even more different from each other, is that as we grow, our outlook changes, we see things differently, and so our way of life must change with us.

Last year, I was all about one simple philosophy, if you aim your goals low you can never be disappointed. I guess now, that seems so absurd, but back then, I never did much but write and play video games, I needed to be happy if I wanted to get through each day, so by never getting disappointed I would keep my morale up. The leaf flies higher and higher, and slowly dances towards the ground, but a sudden push of the wind picks it up again as carries it along over a mountain

In the past year, I do feel that my life has changed a lot, and it very well may be for the better. I had been a runner, throughout high school, but now the school has a new coach, and he really motivated me to try in a sport. I was always the kid who hated to play a sport, so for me to really enjoy running, well it just seemed unreal. It seems that in the past year, my outlook has changed from me always trying to aim low to prevent disappointment. Now I try hard and push everyday as hard as I can, so that by the end of the day I know I couldn’t have worked any harder. With this outlook I know seem to aim my goals higher than ever before and I am reaching them. Due to this new idea I run swim and lift weights most days, things I would never dream of doing. I have ended up on crutches twice this year because of what I do. In this time I became something I wasn’t sure I wanted to be, but I think I love it.

Now the leaf after lightly pressing up against the grass of the field, the swiftly wind picks it up again, and it flies through the air on the move again. The wind carries it away past the field and over the forest, it flies for what seems like miles. It won’t stop, so just let it fly, and enjoy where it lands.