Fairness

John - Rolling Meadows, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe the world is unfair. For the longest time, I have always been curious why everybody was made so differently. Obviously, if people are unique, then there are some that are put in a more favorable situation than others. I have always looked at the world’s unfairness as a negative quality, and have always spent my time futilely envying the people who appeared to be better off than I was. I looked to many different places so that I could find an answer. At first I turned to religion, but this gave me no answer. I asked my parents, but they could not provide me with a proper answer. And so I quietly observed the world, taking note of every injustice and unfortunate circumstance that I had experienced, constantly criticizing this world’s creator, should a higher being exist in the first place. But one day, I realized that I had overlooked one invaluably significant experience of our lives as a human: love. Love cannot exist in a world where we are all made equal. Qualities such as intelligence, physical characteristics, or monetary advantages, which are all largely predetermined at birth, now seem so insignificant. Although they make life easier, they cannot bring true happiness. I believe that this world is unfair. However, being unfair is the only way for love to exist.