Freedom

Carrie - Eminence, Kentucky
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I’ve recently begun to drive on my own. Freedom feels good. It’s pretty cool to be able to slip behind the wheel and drive anywhere you want. It’s fun to lean back, feel the pedal under your toes, and follow the open road. Alone in a car I can choose what roads I take and how fast I go. The responsibility for my safety and the safety of others is mine. There are of course restrictions, but alone in the car, I choose whether to follow them or not.

In life we are given an open road and a vehicle. Each of us gets to decide where to turn, how fast to go, and how to deal with the unexpected. We can smile at the people we pass, or frown. We can help someone who’s had a break down, or just pass on by. Our every choice can have a consequence. Careless driving could kill someone, while helping someone stuck on the highway could make that persons day. Driving comes with a lot of choices and responsibility.

We all aren’t given a Mercedes and a highway to success. Some people are born with an 89 Chevy truck and a bumpy road. Despite this, we always have a steering wheel. As a driver you can turn that wheel where ever you want. You may not reach your destination, but you can sure try.

I believe we all have the freedom to get in the car and choose what roads we take. We have more power than we may initially assume. We alone have the responsibility to stay in our lane and not crash. We alone choose whether to be angry or loving, happy or sad. Enjoy your freedom. Roll down the windows, turn up the music and smile. Wave at the people you pass and take seriously the responsibility of not harming them. Be worthy of your freedom.