New Loved Ones

Amanda - St. Louis, Missouri
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

New Loved Ones

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe it’s something I don’t realize at first. In the end though, even if it was good or bad, there was a purpose behind it. I believe this because I’ve had many experiences that have led me to believe this.

One of them was when my cousin Craig and his girlfriend Brittney found out that they were going to have a baby. My cousin Craig was nineteen years old, and his girlfriend was twenty-four. They weren’t so young that it was a devastating thing to happen to them. But it was a surprise, and they were in no way ready to have a baby. I was in complete shock when I found out about it. Neither of them had gone to college, and he was just getting started with his first job ever as a landscape artist, and had barely any money at all. He had been living at home with his family up until then. Brittney did have a job, but she only worked part time, lived with her mom, and also, had barely any money. They knew that it would be extremely hard to raise a baby because of their money situation. The two of them thought seriously about her getting an abortion. I never wanted her to get one. I knew that maybe they should because they weren’t ready at all, and maybe it could be bad for the baby. But I had hope they could somehow find a way to make it work. The two of them thought about it for a few months and decided against it, and were going to have the baby. Before everything that happened, the two of them were very immature, and this caused them to grow up in a huge way. In the end, they ended up having a beautiful baby girl named Monroe. I fell in love with her immediately. She’s as cute as can be. I’m so proud of my cousin and Brittney because they went through with it. They proved a lot of people wrong that thought they could never do it and would be nothing but bad parents. They are amazing parents now, and have grown up so much. Brittney has been looking for a new job that could support them all much better, and Craig has started taking college night courses so he can get a better job later on. Monroe has helped the two of them go further with their lives, and actually make something of themselves.

Another reason I believe that everything happens for a reason is that last year I was invited to my friend Katie’s golf course for the day with some friends. I really wasn’t in the mood to go out there and be on the go non-stop all day, so I was about to say I couldn’t come. I didn’t have the energy for it. A little while later, I just sort of decided to go. I have no idea what changed my mind, but I told her I could come. I just had a feeling it might be fun and I would end up loving it, even though I wasn’t feeling it at the time. When I got there, her cousin had brought his best friend there too, James. Katie owns the golf course with her cousin’s family, that’s why they were out there also. That is where I met James, my current boyfriend of almost a year. I am so thankful that I decided to go, I found the love of my life, and if I hadn’t gone, I wouldn’t have the amazing life that I now have.

After seeing what can happen when I simply take a chance on something, I know that I have to take risks or do things I don’t always want to do. I never know when something amazing will come from it.