Good Works

Alison - Placerville, California

I believe that ever person should do some form of community service.

After moving to Placerville, my family and I raised a service dog for wheelchair assistance. I never fully understood until now what I difference I could make in someone’s life by taking on such a challenge. I thought more about getting a cute little lab puppy. The dog I turned into the program became the biggest learning experience in my life. I spent fourteen months training this little fur ball and after turning her in for graduation I realized the importance of helping everyone in need.

I sat in the auditorium during graduation watching the dogs become joined to their new owners. There was a variety of people receiving their dog and one little boy stood out from the rest. He was paralyzed from his chest down and he became so excited after he received his own dog. I got this overwhelming feeling throughout my body and I couldn’t help but cry. From that point on, I saw how my fun experience of raising a dog could turn out being a big help for someone in need.

Everyone one in this world will need some form of help in their lifetime. If each person would help another, no one would be left behind. Each person no matter how small will have help when they need it the most.