Good Deeds

Tayler - El Dorado, California

I believe in community service. I think everyone should volunteer some of their time to help someone else. When a person starts to give up their time and devoting it to a good cause I believe it builds good self-esteem, character, responsibility, and a sense of self-lessness.

Just a few months ago I was assigned a cultural plunge project for one of my classes. We had to complete three hours of community service, then write an essay about our experience. At first, I had no idea what to do until my mom suggested a program she used to volunteer for. It’s called “Ride and Shine”.

“Ride and Shine” is therapeutic horseback riding for kids with disabilities. It’s a non-profit organization and it is run by volunteers. The kids get to ride on a horse and do various exercises to help them. They work hard and are always rewarded with trail rides.

The first day I showed up I wasn’t too sure about what I was about to do, but I was open-minded. All I had to do was walk be-side the horse to make sure the student didn’t fall off. It’s just a safety precaution they take. Then I also stayed after all the students’ sessions were over to put everything away and water the horses’ buckets.

Now that may not seem like a lot, but once you’re there walking next to those kids I can almost guarantee you will fill with warmness when you see their faces light up on those horses. To not only watch, but help them have the opportunity to better their lives is simply heartwarming. Just by doing the littlest thing helps them be able to do that. By helping the coordinators clean up and feed the horses you’re ultimately helping give those kids that opportunity.

After I went home that day I had already decided that I was going back. Not for school or any project but because I wanted to.

Now I volunteer every Thursday from 3:30 when I get out of school until 6:30 when all the students have had their sessions and the horses are fed. Any amount of time you can give them helps tremendously.

I enjoy spending my time helping others. It has helped me obtain good self-esteem, character, responsibility, and I’m much more selfless. It has opened my eyes that I’m not the only one here. There are people to be helped. I believe everyone should do good deeds; for your benefit and others.