I Believe in Target Shooting

Blake - Powhatan, Virginia
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

Target shooting is an art that takes a short time to become good and a long time to become great. I believe that the rush you get from holding the power a gun has and trying to harness that power is unbelievable. It is a remarkable thing to watch a professional shooter like those on the Olympic team’s fire their guns and makes five bullets go through the same hole.

To become one of the best shooters it takes practice. You must shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds a year. Then you have to have a top notch gun. You cannot just go to any sporting goods store and pick up a rifle. You have to get the rifle custom built for you. The Olympians gun has been altered to fit him or her perfectly. The pistols grips are designed to fit the shooters hand and the rifles are made to fit in both the hands and face.

All of these things have to come together to make great shots. It’s not cheap either. A shooter must believe in him or herself to pursue this career. You have to know that you are not going to mess up. You have to be perfect. Nothing less is acceptable.

This sport is also considered an art by those who compete and enjoy it. It is an art in which you must have the correct motions every time. You must exhale before every shot. You cannot put your finger too far on the trigger or you will pull the shot. You have to place the sights in the exact same place every time to make sure that you hit the correct spot on the target. While doing these things you cannot think of a single one of them. All you can think about is the shot. You now have to trust your instincts.

Unlike in movies and T.V. show it is actually very rare to hit the bull’s eye. There are so many things that can effect what happens to the shot. The most common problem is human error. Other things like the bullet in the cartridge having imperfections or a single grain of extra powder behind the bullet. The wind or even just a change in the temperature could do enough to put a bullet off its path.

Most of the competition is not so much putting all of the shots on top of the bull’s eye but placing them all in one spot. It is a rarity to see every shot go through one hole. That feat is accomplished only by top level competitors. It is more common to see the holes cutting each other and there being the equal holes to shots.

I believe that target shooting is a great sport. I Believe that it is something that people have unrealistic fears that guns mean danger. They are the ones that are missing out on the excitement.

I believe that target shooting is a great art for everyone to enjoy.