I Believe In Music

Ashleigh - North Port, Florida

I always get excited when my favorite songs come on the radio. I start rocking out to them and practically sing at the top of my lungs. Then one day I realized: I don’t always listen to the lyrics.

I believe in music.

I believe music has a way of conveying the things people are afraid to admit, or simply never come out and say, and it can preserve the world’s history . Recently, I was studying Romeo and Juliet in my English class, and I figured it would be excruciatingly boring. Around that time, the song “Love Story” by Taylor Swift started becoming more and more popular. When I heard it on the radio one afternoon, I cranked up the volume and got ready to shout out the words. That’s what I usually do when I hear songs that I love, but for some reason this time was different. Instead of singing at the top of my lungs and dancing around, I actually paid attention to the words flowing out of the speakers.

For a few minutes I was stunned. I’m not sure why, although I guess it was because it seemed so crazy to me that you could take a play as old and magnificent as Romeo and Juliet and turn it into a modern day song. I even started getting more interested in studying Romeo and Juliet at school.

Another time I was listening to the song “Into the Ocean” by Blue October. I was trying to make a CD cover for that song for an English project. In the middle of my work, I stopped to take a break and just listened to the song. I realized it’s about trying to escape and not being able to. For an enormously long time “Into the Ocean” was my favorite song.

Probably the biggest reason I believe in music is the fact that I write my own lyrics. I’ll never forget the time I sung a song I wrote called “Amazing” to my friends and made them cry. It shocked me to look up from my paper and see tears and smudged mascara. At first I’d thought they were hurt or I’d said something wrong. Turns out, they were feeling exactly the same way I was when I wrote those lyrics, they’d just hadn’t felt comfortable speaking up.

Music is everything to me. It’s a way of communication, it’s a method of expression, it’s universal, and it’s incredible. I believe in music.