I Believe In Growth

Jaimie - Midlothian, Virginia

Everyday I am blessed with the opportunity to better the life of a child. I work at The Little Gym and it is a place where every child is accepted and learns how to succeed in life by having self confidence. I do not like to consider my job to be work. The Little Gym is a very fun, non-competitive environment for the children as well as the employees. Through my job I am not only growing the self confidence of every child, but my own as well.

I have a little girl, Emily, in one of my three year old classes that would not come in the gym at the start of the semester unless mom or dad came in as well. She had tried classes with other instructors and I was the last hope. For weeks all she would do was sit on the wall and watch. Eventually I got her to play on the equipment at the last station. I was beyond excited. I finally got her speaking to me, one word at a time, but it was something. It was then I got the answer on how to make her play, the Air Track.

I begun to start each class on the Air Track and that got Emily off the wall. She would participate more and more each class. Soon her parents were able to sneak out of the gym and she was all alone. A few weeks later she no longer needed anyone to walk her into the gym. A few weeks after that, I tried class without the Air Track and it went fine. Emily continued to play without hesitation.

Now Emily shouts, “Look at me, Miss Jaimie!” every time she does a skill on the equipment. She is even starting to talk to other kids in the class and I helped her do that. It’s a small step in Emily’s growth, but it will help her to continue to succeed in life.

Knowing that I had a part in helping her self-confidence grow is an extremely rewarding feeling. I become more confident in myself with each and every child I help.