A Back up Friend or a Best Friend?

Brianna - Arvada, Colorado

“Tim! Stop making a weapon out of the party favors!”

It was a year ago when I met the best friend I know and love thanks to another friend. I’d heard about Tim when my friend Trevyn and my then boyfriend David would talk about him but we’d never been face to face. Trevyn had short dark, dark brown hair. He was about 5’ 7” like me and super skinny. David had short light brown hair with glasses. He was about 5’ 11”, a good head taller then me. I went to Trevyn’s graduation party and I met him. He was different, confidant, and enjoyed having a good time. He was about 5’ 7” like me with messy brown hair. He had glasses that made him look cooler. The main thing got me was that he clearly had fangs: like a vampire. When I first knew his name was when Trevyn had yelled at him about making a weapon out of the party favors all the seniors got: a straw, a paper clip, a rubber band, and a penny. I laughed so hard when he shot it for the first time; he just looked at me and asked who I was. All I could say was that I was a friend of Trevyn and the new girlfriend of David. He laughed at that and I could feel myself go a deep red. Then came the day four months later and I stayed near him for comfort.

My time with Tim back when I first met him was a lot like a back burner relationship. He was a back up friend to me; someone I didn’t know to well. When something major like breaking up with my boyfriend happened that all changed. This back burner relationship friend became the one person who knew me the best out all of my friends.

Relationships happen when any friend, back up or best, takes the time to sit down with whoever the other friend is and just talk. Friendships are formed by just getting to know the person even if the person seemed so far away and out of reach. I believe a back up friend can become a best friend.

Six months back I broke up with my boyfriend. A day later I got a text from this so called back up friend asking if I was all right. Ever since then he’s not only been my best friend but my new boyfriend. I’m still with him all because of one day when he was making a weapon out a few party favors at our friend’s party.