Leap of Faith

Alyssa - Arvada, Colorado
Themes: fear
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Webster’s definition of fearless is “to be without fear.” I don’t agree.

I think being fearless is so much more than being without fear.

Last spring break I went on a missions trip to Arizona. One night about halfway through the week we got together as a group and prayed by ourselves for about 10 minutes then came together in a circle and anybody that wanted to be prayed over could step into the circle and state what they wanted to be prayed over about. My pastor had told us that it was a big step to enter the circle, and if we didn’t feel that we were ready, that was fine. I’d spent the first 10 minutes simply asking Christ to show himself to me. I’d felt he already had and I didn’t want to step into the circle because I was scared of everyone seeing me so open. If I went into the circle, I’d have to bear all, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that. We had reached the last person that was going to enter the circle and if I wanted my chance, I needed to take it now, because it was leaving fast. After quick, serious consideration, I willed my feet to walk the few steps and take the biggest leap of faith I ever had. I told them what had kept me sobbing the entire time and each person laid hands and said their prayer over me.

It’s controversial in today’s society to talk about faith and religion. But I think that’s what being fearless is about. Not being afraid to talk about something that gets you ridiculed and humiliated.

I believe that you have to be fearless in your faith. You have to take that leap even when it feels ridiculous.

When people think of fearlessness, they typically think of being without fear, standing unafraid in the face of ultimate danger. But being fearless is so much more then that. Taylor Swift said, “To me, fearless is not the absence of fear. It’s not about being completely unafraid. To me, fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.” Being fearless in my faith means that I have to step up and face what scares me most about myself and my faith, whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, or whatever. It means that when I have a decision to make or a reality to face, I have to believe that anything is possible if I just believe.