Morning on the Course

Robert - USA
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Frustration. Aggravation. Irritation. These words are commonly associated with the sport of golf, but I learned to believe the complete opposite. When I began playing golf, I had a challenging time learning the game and never expected to accept it as an activity I would cherish forever, but through memorable experiences with my Dad, grandfather, and close friends, I have learned that golf can take a person away from the worries of everyday life if it is approached in the right way. I truly believe that there is nothing more relaxing than a round of golf on a beautiful morning.

Many people view golf as a complex game that only experienced players can partake in, but they have not experienced the greatness of the game for themselves. I started playing when I was twelve, and it was simple to see how beneficial golf could be. Blue skies, perfectly trimmed grass, animals scattering, and a gorgeous scenery exemplify what golf is to me. It is not about getting a birdie on every hole or making perfect shots, it is about being relaxed, enjoying nature, and having a good time. When I hit a bad shot, instead of hurling my club or cussing, I think about how fortunate I am to be on the course on such a great day. If I wanted to make golf aggravating, I could, but I would rather stay positive, enjoy the weather, and be thankful for being able to escape from the pressures of society.

Golf can serve as a much needed break to the overwhelming world we live in. When I am on the course, enjoying a perfect day, the last thing I am thinking about is school, fighting with my girlfriend, or chores to accomplish. Growing up, whenever my Dad noticed I was stressed, he would take me golfing and we would both forget our troubles. He would not worry about work or bills, and I did not have to be concerned about getting into college or one of the three sports teams I was on, we just relaxed. It is the same scenario with my grandpa. I remember when my grandpa’s best friend died and he was struggling severely. My dad setup a time for us to golf on a beautiful Sunday morning, and he still thanks us for helping him cope with his problem. My friends and I consistently use golf as a tension reliever as well. After a week of midterms, my friends and I will go out and play a soothing round, and we all feel much better and are ready to start another week. Whether it is a serious death, a failed test, or just a bad day, I will always be able to grab my bag, head to the course, and enjoy myself.

I believe that every that every person should have a way to escape from the craziness of the world. It is important to make sure we all have a way to relieve our stresses and deal with serious issues. Whether it is a jog, a movie, or in my case a round of golf, something so simple can improve our lives. With a positive attitude and a respect for the game of golf, anyone can enjoy it. So for the people that think golf is frustrating, aggravating, and irritating, I will conclude with a quote by the late golf legend Walter Hagan, who said, “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don’t worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”