Miracles

Elizabeth - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe that God works in mysterious ways; I also believe in extraordinary miracles. Miracles are not just unexplainable things that happen, but they are good things that happen to people who wait for them. I have witnessed one of the most extraordinary miracles a teenager can witness. Although I have experienced many times of good luck, there is one that I know surpasses them all, the miracle of life.

In May of 2002, I was only ten years old when I was diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease. I did not have a normal childhood, and the illness took its toll on my life. There were treatments, surgeries, and long hospital stays. I could not do what every other normal child my age was doing because I was ill with major migraines, fluid retention, and uncontrollable vomiting. August of 2004, I was struck ill once again, but this time was worse. My kidneys had completely failed, and I was put on dialysis. I missed most of the beginning of school but was determined to keep my grades up. I had gotten my kidneys removed the previous summer and infection had invaded my abdomen. I had to get my dialysis catheter removed and another one put in. Some weeks later I was better and continuing dialysis at home. After my kidney removal, I was told I had three years to live, so I started counting down the days.

On July 25, 2007, I witnessed the most spectacular miracle there ever was. It was two years and eleven months after I was told I had three years to live, and I was on an everlasting trip to Arkansas Children’s Hospital. I was in route to ACH to try an experimental medicine for anemia, when I got the call I had waited for. My doctor called and asked how quickly I could get to Little Rock. When she told me that she found a very good possible match of a kidney for me, I dropped the phone and was breathless. Tears ran down my pale cheeks, I struggled for air, and just thanked God for the miracle that had just taken place.

I believe God wanted me to take a chance and try the experimental medicine, and I was on my way to Little Rock that morning for a reason. God worked a wonderful miracle that day, and I will never forget how grateful I was and still am. When I got to the hospital the doctors said the kidney was a perfect match for me. I had waited for this miracle for three years, and finally got what I needed.

Frequently, miracles are given to people who wait for them. I waited almost three years and never gave up, and I got my miracle, the miracle of life. There are miraculous happenings every day; we just may not realize them because they are so small, yet so big, or they do not happen to us.