I Believe That Everyone Deserves a Fair and Equal Opportunity in Life.

Monique - Choctaw, Oklahoma
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that everyone deserves a fair and equal opportunity in life. Since I was a child, I have never had a need for anything. I take the simple things in life such as food, water, and shelter for granted. The commercials on television showing starving children in third world countries always seemed so distant to me. Now that I am older; I look around and see that there is poverty right up the street from my $36,000 a year university. When I go to the cafeteria to eat two or three times a day, I never think about the child in the neighborhood across the street whose mother could not give him dinner that night. I never think of the little girl I saw walking barefoot on that commercial. Instead, I go in with my friends, try out three to four different foods, and throw away what I did not enjoy. I never think twice about the children who would do anything just for a bite of that food. It is not out of inconsideration that I do this on a consistent basis; I have just never had a need. Maybe if I knew what it was like to know when my next meal would be, or where it was coming from, I would show more compassion. Maybe if I was not dependent upon my hard working parents I would have more sympathy. Maybe if I just could go through the pain they feel each and every day I would stop taking things for granted.

When I go to bed each night, I pray for these people. I ask God for there to be justice and peace for them. I pray that somehow, someway they will get the life they deserve. We are all human. There should be something inside each and every one of us that drives us to help others. I could be the one walking the streets, begging for my next meal, but I am not. I lay my head on my pillow each night and have a peaceful night’s rest. Everyone deserves the opportunity the simple things in life. Food, water, and shelter are things that no one should want. It is our duty to see that our neighbors do not go to sleep hungry at night. It is our duty to help small children who are simply victims of circumstance. It is our duty to see to it that we help those in need because everyone deserves a fair and equal opportunity in life; this I believe.