The Gifts I See Are the Gifts I Receive

Lori - Chicago, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that when I look for the good in people or in the world around me, I find lots of beautiful gifts….I get what I’m looking for. When I tell people the beautiful things I see in them, acknowledging and honoring those gifts, I gift others by helping them see something in themselves, or in the world, that they might not know is there or even believe is possible. I can help them open up to the qualities that I have seen. The more I expect to see gifts, the more I actually do see them. It’s pretty simple, really.

Well, it’s not really that simple. I have to share the gift I see in them unconditionally. People often aren’t prepared to see their own gifts and aren’t able to appreciate it when others point them out. I can’t expect a positive response, or any response at all for that matter. If I’m gifting someone it has to be without expectation…if I’m disappointed, I’m not giving unconditionally. That’s okay, it gifts me an opportunity to learn something about myself and to grow.

No doubt that sometimes it’s easier to see the anger, or the control, in others. It’s easy to get frustrated and often believe they are different from me. But when I acknowledge that I am capable of the same emotions and behaviors, it’s easier to accept them and to accept myself. That’s the foundation for making change.

Life is a series of mirrors, reflecting back at us who we are and what we are capable of accomplishing. When we see kindness and generosity in others, it is because we are kind and generous. A friend of mine told me that the kindness of her teenage son makes her want to be kinder, but I believe that we all have unlimited kindness within us and seeing it makes us desire to express it more. When I see hope and possibility for others, I see it for myself. When I acknowledge the gifts in others, I gift myself by acknowledging and honoring that those gifts are also in me.

Changing what I see changes what I feel. This is the kind of seeing that I believe can change the world.